Sports jackets, blazers and suit jackets are similar in their fundamental design. Suit jackets are made with single, side or no vents, while sports jackets often are made with a center vent. Blazers typically have side vents. Suit coats and the pants that go with them are typically the same material and color. Sports jackets can be any color and often reflect a pattern such as hounds-tooth, herringbone, or checks. Sports jackets usually arenÂ´t made in striped patterns.
Blazers are traditionally made in solid dark colors; blue, navy, black, burgundy, green, and red. White and ivory are also popular blazer colors.
Blazers are made with gold or silver buttons while sports jackets and suits have buttons that match the cloth fabric they are made from.
The cut of the three styles are similar but sports coats should never be double breasted. Blazers and suits can be single or double breasted. Classic traditional styles usually have one center vent at the back of the jacket. Very traditional jacket styles two side at the back of the jacket. Modern, Italian cut, slim styles have no vents.
Other commonly asked questions about Style Specific Questions
- What is the difference between inverse pleats and reverse pleats and how do they differ from standard pleats on pants?
- What are Morning Pants?
- What is a vent?
- Do you make detachable collar dress shirts?
- What is a Peak Lapel?
- What is a Notch Lapel?
- What is a button down collar?
- What is the difference between a single breasted and a double breasted jacket?
- What is a Sulptured Collar?
- What is a split back on jackets?
- What are inverted box pleats?
- What is the difference between a Notch Lapel and a Peak Lapel?
- What are Ticket Pockets?
- What is a hidden button-down collar?
- What style is best for me?
- What is button stance?
- What is a gorge?
- What is a placket covered front?
- What is a Bouttonnaire?
- What is a Mandarin Collar, a Thai Collar, and an Oiental Collar?
- Where does custom tailoring fit with traditional vs. modern styles?
- Can I order deviations from styles that I like but want slightly different?
- What are the construction specifications for your shirts?
- What are hand stitched lapels and pockets?
- What is the difference between English or British cut and Italian cut menÂ´s suits?
- What is an Ainsley Collar?
- Can designer styles be replicated?