On a coat, a notch is a cut between the collar and the lapel. A Notch lapel is a 45 to 90 degree angle of separation between the collar and the lapel at the point where they join. The collar is the piece that goes around the neck and the lapel is the piece that sits on the front of the chest. In a Notch lapel, there is a wide space separating the outer most tip of the collar from the outer most tip of the lapel.
Other commonly asked questions about Style Specific Questions
- What is the difference between inverse pleats and reverse pleats and how do they differ from standard pleats on pants?
- What are Morning Pants?
- What is a vent?
- Do you make detachable collar dress shirts?
- What is a Peak Lapel?
- What is a button down collar?
- What is the difference between a single breasted and a double breasted jacket?
- What is a Sulptured Collar?
- What is a split back on jackets?
- What are inverted box pleats?
- What is the difference between a Notch Lapel and a Peak Lapel?
- What are Ticket Pockets?
- What is a hidden button-down collar?
- What style is best for me?
- What is button stance?
- What is a gorge?
- What is a placket covered front?
- What is a Bouttonnaire?
- What is a Mandarin Collar, a Thai Collar, and an Oiental Collar?
- Where does custom tailoring fit with traditional vs. modern styles?
- Can I order deviations from styles that I like but want slightly different?
- What are the construction specifications for your shirts?
- What are hand stitched lapels and pockets?
- What is the difference between English or British cut and Italian cut menÂ´s suits?
- What is an Ainsley Collar?
- Can designer styles be replicated?
- What is the difference between a Suit Jacket, a Blazer and a Sports Jacket ?