The button-down collar has small buttons at the tips of the points. It is a characteristic collar style of the "preppy" look first popularized in the 1960s. Few people currently wearing button-down collars are aware of its historical origins. The button-down collar is an American adaptation of shirts worn by English polo players. It was introduced by John Brooks in 1900 after he observed English polo players wearing them to prevent collar flapping during a match. Polo players at first wore formal cotton dress shirts with the collars buttoned down to prevent flapping from becoming a distraction during matches. Today, the button-down collar is a staple of American menÂ´s wear but is much less common in Great Britain.
mysqli_query($mysqli_link, "UPDATE faq set Priority=Priority+1 where ID=" . (int)$question . ";"); ?>
Other commonly asked questions about Style Specific Questions
- What is the difference between inverse pleats and reverse pleats and how do they differ from standard pleats on pants?
- What are Morning Pants?
- What is a vent?
- Do you make detachable collar dress shirts?
- What is a Peak Lapel?
- What is a Notch Lapel?
- What is the difference between a single breasted and a double breasted jacket?
- What is a Sulptured Collar?
- What is a split back on jackets?
- What are inverted box pleats?
- What is the difference between a Notch Lapel and a Peak Lapel?
- What are Ticket Pockets?
- What is a hidden button-down collar?
- What style is best for me?
- What is button stance?
- What is a gorge?
- What is a placket covered front?
- What is a Bouttonnaire?
- What is a Mandarin Collar, a Thai Collar, and an Oiental Collar?
- Where does custom tailoring fit with traditional vs. modern styles?
- Can I order deviations from styles that I like but want slightly different?
- What are the construction specifications for your shirts?
- What are hand stitched lapels and pockets?
- What is the difference between English or British cut and Italian cut menÂ´s suits?
- What is an Ainsley Collar?
- Can designer styles be replicated?
- What is the difference between a Suit Jacket, a Blazer and a Sports Jacket ?